Despite taking the first two sets, the York University Lions women’s volleyball team fell to the Toronto Varsity Blues, who rallied to win the next three sets after going down 2-0. With that, the visiting Blues took a 3-2 victory over the Lions on Sunday afternoon at the Tait McKenzie Centre.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tied at 7-7, the visitorsorchestrated a 5-0 run, seizing a 12-7 lead and forcing a timeout from the Lions. Whatever head coach Jen Nielson said in the timeout worked wonders, as the Lions came out firing on all cylinders mounting an 18-7 run to secure a 25-19 opening set victory.
- The second was closely-contested, as the teams battled to a 16-16 tie. Dwon the stretch, however, the Lions surged ahead, embarking on a 9-3 run fueled by an Elina Zvigelsky service ace and a Toronto service error, securing a 25-19 victory in the second set.
- Although the Lions initially found themselves trailing 10-5 in the early stages of the third set, they rebounded with authority, launching an 11-3 run in the middle of the set to take a 16-13 edge. But, throughout the remainder of the set, the Lions faced determined opposition from the visitors, who responded with a 12-6 run, marked by several service aces and a decisive kill by Shahed Al Awamleh. Toronto came away with the set, 25-22, forcing a fourth set.
- The fourth set saw the Varsity Blues take the advantage from the outset, as the built a commanding 20-11 lead. Despite the efforts of Brooklyn Parliament and Zvigelsky, ??York struggled to make inroads in their deficit. The Blues took the fourth set 25-15, forcing the match into a winner-take-all fifth set.
- An 8-0 surge in the fifth set the tone in favour of the Blues, with the Lions ultimately falling short with a 15-4 and dropping the match 3-2.
The Lions will return to the court after the holiday season, as they will look to vie revenge against the Guelph Gryphons on Friday, Jan 6, at the Tait McKenzie Centre. The first serve of the New Year is scheduled for 6:00 pm.
This article is shared as part of our Fair Dealing Policy. For the original article, please visit: https://yorkulions.ca/news/2023/12/3/womens-volleyball-lions-conclude-fall-term-with-deflating-defeat-to-visiting-varsity-blues.aspx