Based in Gatineau, Québec, Canada, at the Team Canada Men’s Volleyball High Performance Centre and under the direction of the High-Performance Director, the Head Coach is responsible for the leadership, development, and preparation of the National Men’s Indoor Program with a goal of producing sustained high-performance excellence.
- Assist the High-Performance Director (HPD) in developing a detailed High-Performance Plan that is evaluated by Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in the following six high performance areas:
a. Athlete Development
b. Coach Development
c. Competition Plans
d. Sport science/medicine integrated sport plan including technology management
e. Daily training environment
- In conjunction with and after approval from the HPD, the Head Coach will:
a. Plan, implement and monitor a training program for high-performance Senior Team athletes on a yearly and quadrennial basis in line with Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) principles.
b. Plan, implement and monitor team and individual training programs on a weekly and day-to-day basis.
c. Plan, implement and monitor a competition program based on the international competition calendars
d. Ensure an international performance and results focus, incorporating leading-edge initiatives and measurable KPIs.
- Oversee the integration of appropriate sport science and medicine services and lead the Integrated Support Team (IST). This includes (but is not limited to) Strength & Conditioning, Nutrition, Sport psychology, and Athletic Therapy.
- In conjunction with the NextGen Head Coach, assist in the identification and recruitment of athletes with international potential across the high performance pathway.
- Mentor the coaches working with all Volleyball Canada’s development teams: NextGen, U21 and U19 teams, as well as all assistant/guest coaches working with the Senior team.
- Coach the Senior National Team at all international competitions (FIVB and NORCECA).
- Assist in the regular liaison and communication with stakeholders (USPORTS/CCAA/NCAA, IST members, Provincial/Territorial Associations, funding partners…etc.) on training, competition and program activities.
- Review annual progress reports on the performance of the National Senior Team using testing and statistical data. Develop an ongoing database/tracking system of athletes.
- Act in an advisory role to assist program administrative staff in the effective delivery/management of program logistics.
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong international experience as a head (or assistant) coach with a National Team (Olympic Games – World Championships – World Cup – Nations League).
- Strong international experience with professional Clubs as a Head Coach.
- Preferred National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Level 4 certification or equivalent.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated high level technical knowledge of Indoor volleyball coaching principles including techniques, coaching trends and international development.
- Understanding and application of the principles of coaching, sport science/medicine and technology within a high-performance program.
- Ability to communicate in Canada’s two official languages (English and French) Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication Strong management skills.
- Understanding of the Canadian Sport System and its stakeholders Competent computer skills for communication, reporting and performance analysis.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated success in managing individual differences and group dynamics.
- Ability to work irregular and long hours (Including some weekends) with the capacity to travel domestically and internationally as required.
Since the National Team Head Coach is a position of high public visibility it is imperative that the coach represents Volleyball Canada, its athletes, coaches, staff, volunteers and sponsors in a positive manner at all times.
This article is shared as part of our Fair Dealing Policy. For the original article, please visit: https://www.ontariovolleyball.org/news_article/show/1182901?referrer_id=3678343